Population and culture

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Pribuzhsky Polesye is located at the junction of three cultures: Belarusian, Ukrainian and Polish, so it combines ethnic traditions (rituals, language features).

Currently, in this region, almost the entire population is represented by three East Slavic peoples of the Indo – European language family: Belarusians, Ukrainians and Russians, as well as representatives of the West Slavic group-poles. The titular nation is the Belarusians, whose share in the total population of the district is about 80%.

Among the national minorities, the first place is occupied by Ukrainians, although in the whole of the Brest region in the first place (about 10 %) are Russian.

Before the second world war, a significant proportion of the population in the region was Jewish. So, according to the first all-Russian population census of 1897 Jews made about 10% of the population of the Brest district. And in the town of Domachevo, located on the territory of the reserve, the Jews were the majority of the population. According to the Polish census of 1931. in the Brest povet lived 112248 Belarusians (officially 95226 people were recorded “tuteyshimi” and only 17022 – Belarusians), 50248 poles, 32089 Jews, 17926 Ukrainians, 3075 Russian, 59 Germans, 19 Czechs, 6 Lithuanians, 2511 others.

The religious structure of the population is closely connected with the national composition of the population. Before the adoption of Christianity, paganism was characteristic of the population living in the territory of the planned reserve. From the tenth century among the inhabitants of the region gradually began to spread Christianity. At the time of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania Orthodoxy was considered the state religion. After the Union of Kreva (1385) the influence of the Roman Catholic Church began to increase. Together with migrants, Judaism penetrates here, and since the 16th century – Protestantism. After adoption in 1596 The Union of Brest for the inhabitants of the region gradually began to play a leading role Uniate Church. After the third partition of the Commonwealth (1795) and the transition of the territory of modern Belarus under the jurisdiction of Russia again the leading role passed to Orthodoxy.

At the beginning of the twentieth century among Orthodox believers share in the region accounted for about 80 %, Catholic 7 %, Jewish 11 %. When the region became part of Poland (1921-1939), the number of adherents of Catholicism increased significantly, but the share of Orthodox among believers was about 70 %. Along with Protestants, the share of Christian religions in this period was more than 80 %. The first Protestants in the territory of the planned reserve appeared in 1564 In the early 19th century Protestants, there were about 300 people. Currently, about 40 parishes of the main religious movements are registered in the Brest region. 25 of them are Orthodox, 2 Catholic, 10 Protestant.

The undoubted heritage of the region are wooden churches and temples.

St. Michael Church in Czersk D. (XVII century), Elias Church in oak D. (con. XVIII century.) Holy Transfiguration Church in D. medno (XVIII century) St. Luke’s Church (1905) in G. p. Domachevoobrazets late classicism – Church of the Immaculate Conception of the blessed virgin Mary (1854) in G. p. Domachevo.

The villages have preserved elements of the old plan. There are also the remains of a residential building, which combines under one roof the house and barn. Many estates located on the outskirts of villages are built on the principle of farms.

world war I cemetery, where 1346 servicemen of different nationalities are buried

Memorial to the victims of the 1st World vinyamata. Strategyplanet. Palaceplay 55 victims of the Domachevo orphan asylum